Admissions Information

Eligibility Requirements:

Admissions to the Iowa Veterans Home shall be limited to honorably discharged veterans who are eligible for care and treatment at Department of Veterans Affairs facilities.  The spouse of a veteran or widowed spouse of a veteran shall be eligible for admission, based on the eligibility of the living or deceased veteran spouse, in accordance with the Iowa Administrative Code (IAC).  The individual shall have met the residency requirements of the state of Iowa on the date of admission to the Iowa Veterans Home.  Spouses must be married to a veteran for at least one (1) year before the application.  Certification of residency is required by the County Commission of Veteran Affairs.

Application Processing:

The admissions committee shall assign the level and category of care required by the applicant.  When a bed is not immediately available in the level and category of care assigned, the applicant's name shall be placed on the appropriate waiting list for that level and category of care or special care unit in the order of the date the application was received.

County Commission of Veteran Affairs:

Each county has a Commission of Veteran Affairs and listed in the telephone directory under County Government or Commissioner of Veteran Affairs.  Contact your county Commission or Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center counselor to obtain an application and information.  You must have the County Commission certify your eligibility by verifying your residency and military service.  An original or certified copy of your Veteran's discharge papers, and original or certified copy of your birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate of spouse, divorce decree, durable power of attorney papers, or conservatorship and guardianship papers are needed to complete your application.  Copies of all current court orders regarding financial obligations, such as child support or alimony, etc., must be provided.