Civilian Correctional Officer
A civilian correctional officer is assigned to the Clinton County Jail and is responsible for maintaining order by taking appropriate action to ensure the safety and security of all detainees in the Clinton County Jail. Enforcement of security rules, regulations, and procedures; receiving incoming detainees; comply with booking and release orders; supervise work detail; escort detainees to and from cells for visitation, medical treatment, and video court appearances, etc. Perform related duties as directed by jail supervisors.
New employees who have previous correctional (including military correctional) experience, shall be given credit for their prior years of experience for placement on the wage matrix scale.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Record facts to prepare reports that document incidents and activities.
- Guard facility entrances to screen visitors
- Take Detainees into custody and escort to locations within the facility, such as visiting room or courtroom. Call Deputy when escort needed for outside of the facility.
- Ability to drive detainees with Deputy for transport reasons.
- Use weapons, handcuffs, and physical force to maintain discipline and order among detainees.
- Conduct fire, safety, and sanitation inspections.
- Provide to supervisors oral and written reports of the quality and quantity of work performed by inmates, inmate disturbances and rule violations, and unusual occurrences.
- Ability to communicate with detainees to help maintain order and settle disputes between inmates.
- Counsel detainees and respond to legitimate questions, concerns, and requests.
- Maintain records of Detainees' identification and charges
- Conduct head counts to ensure that each Detainee is present.
- Monitor conduct of Detainees in housing unit, or during work or recreational activities, according to established policies, regulations, and procedures, to prevent escape or violence.
- Inspect conditions of locks, window bars, grills, doors, and gates at prisons to ensure security and help prevent escapes. Record information, such as Detainee identification, charges, and incidences of inmate disturbance, and keep daily logs of Detainee activities.
- Search Detainees and conduct shakedowns of cells for valuables and contraband, such as weapons or drugs
- Collaborate with other offices and agencies to exchange information and coordinate activities.
- Render aid to accident victims and other persons requiring first aid for physical injuries.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends, nights, and holidays.
- Process Detainees, and prepare and maintain records of Detainee bookings and Detainee status during booking and pre-trial process.
- Handles difficult and sensitive situations involving staff or people and agencies outside of the unit’s jurisdiction when the Supervisor is not available. Exercises judgment and discretion and makes decisions in emergency situations.
- Ability to handle stressful situations that could be life threatening.
- Ability to work in and around detainees that may have verbal and behavioral outbursts deemed inappropriate or offensive.
- Serve meals, cook meals when the cook is not available, distribute commissary items, and dispense prescribed medication to Detainees, hourly cell checks.
- Ability to communicate and direct the activities of detainee visitors.
- Ability to both speak and write the English language is required. Ability to speak Spanish would be desired.
- Participate in required job training.
- Use nondisciplinary tools and equipment such as a computer.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Serve civil papers, no contact orders, assist with mental and criminal transports.
Minimum Qualifications Requirements:
Must have either a High School Diploma, general education degree (GED) or (HiSET) High School Equivalency Test certificate. One must successfully complete Jail school within first 6 months. One must successfully complete orientation.
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Department: Sheriff
- Salary Range: $22.74- 24.60 per hour DOE
- Posted: 8/3/23
- Expires: Posted until filled.
All Job Listings