Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

The VA's Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program assists veterans with service-connected disabilities by offering them services and assistance to help them prepare for, find, and keep suitable employment.  Through the VR&E program, a disabled veteran may receive:

  • Assistance finding and maintaining suitable employment.
  • An evaluation of the individual's abilities, skills, and interest.
  • Vocational counseling and planning.
  • If needed, training such as on-the-job and non-paid work experiences.
  • If needed, training such as certificate and two- or four-year college programs.
  • Supportive rehabilitation services and additional counseling.

VA provides employment-related benefits and services to veterans with disabilities, transitioning service members, and certain veterans' dependents.  VA offers:

Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment ServicesVeterans with disabilities may receive vocational rehabilitation and employment services to overcome barriers that prevent them from obtaining employment.  VA provides employment assistance, counseling/guidance, training or education, and personal and work adjustment training.

Vocational-Educational Career CounselingServicemembers, veterans, and certain veterans' dependents are provided with vocational and educational guidance and counseling to assist them in selecting an appropriate career goal and training institution.

Vocational Training Program for Certain Vietnam Veterans' Children with Spina BifidaVA may provide to certain Vietnam veterans' children with spina bifida limited vocational training, employment assistance, and other related rehabilitation services to achieve a vocational goal, including employment.

For more information, visit our website at www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/

Transition Assistance Program (TAP/DTAP)The Transition Assistance Program provides to exiting servicemembers, with and without disabilities, assistance with employment placement and information on employment programs.

Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization (OSDBU)This office helps small businesses obtain information on acquiring contracts with VA.  Federal offices are required to place a portion of their contracts and purchases with small and disadvantaged businesses.  VA also promotes business with veterans by encouraging VA contracting offices to include veteran-owned contractors in mailings to solicit bids.  For more information, write to OSDBU (00SB) at the Department of Veterans Affairs, 810 Vermont Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20420, or visit the OSDBU website at www.va.gov/OSDBU

VA Partners:Other agencies work with VA to provide assistance and employment benefits to veterans with disabilities and exiting servicemembers.  For example:

  • Job-Finding Assistance - Free job counseling, testing, referral, and placement services.  Contact the nearest state employment office and present a copy of your military discharge (DD Form 214).
  • Unemployment Compensation - For more information, contact the nearest state employment office and present a copy of your military discharge (DD Form 214).
  • Federal Jobs for Veterans - For more information, contact Career America Connection at 1-912-757-3000 or visit their website at www.fedshirevets.gov/
  • Employment and Re-employment Rights - For more information, visit the Department of Labor web site at www.dol.gov/vets/
  • Small Business Administration (SBA) - For more information, contact the nearest SBA office or call 1-800-827-5722.