Veteran Affairs Frequently Asked Questions

Military Records

Military Service Discharge Information

Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions.  DD Form 214, or other discharge documents, should be kept in a safe location accessible to you and your next of kin or designated representative.

Replacing Military Records

To request a replacement of your military records,  use Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, available at VA regional offices or at our website at Your DD 214 may also be found at your county recorder’s office if it was filed.

Review of Discharges

To apply for a review of your discharge, write to the military department concerned using DD Form 293. This form is available at VA regional offices or at our website at

Correction of Military Records

To apply for a correction of your military records, use DD Form 149, available at VA regional offices or at our website at

Transition Assistance Programs

Transition Assistance Programs provide information that will help you make the transition to civilian life easier by ensuring that you know of the many benefits that may be available to you.  VA encourages all separating service members to contact their respective Family Service Centers/Transition Center to determine when the Transition Assistance briefings are scheduled for a location convenient to you.


Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions.  Active service means full-time service as a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, or as a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service, the Environmental Services Administration, or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Eligibility depends upon individual circumstances.  To apply, please contact the nearest VA regional office or call our toll-free number, 1-800-827-1000.

Health Care Enrollment and Eligibility

For health care applications and eligibility procedures, please call Clinton County Veterans Affairs at 563-242-1151 or the DeWitt Office at 563-659-6230.

Filing Claims

If you are seeking a VA benefit for the first time, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214 or other discharge documents with your application for benefits.

Important Documents to Have:

  • DD Form 214 or other discharge documents
  • Veteran's birth certificate
  • Veteran's marriage certificate
  • Children's birth certificates
  • Veteran's death certificate

Service Organizations

Each VSO's service officer will, at no cost to the veteran, assist with the preparation and management of their claims for benefits to which they may be legally entitled.  The service officer functions as an advocate for the veterans and families they represent.  They assist veterans and their families in filing claims for VA disability compensation, rehabilitation and education programs, pension and death benefits, employment and training programs, Social Security disability benefits and many other programs.

For additional information or assistance, visit a VSO office in your area or one of the VSO officers at your nearest VA regional office or VA medical center's Voluntary Service program manager.  Also, check your local telephone directory under government listing for VSO offices in your area.  You may also see the directory of veterans service organizations on our web site at


Who Do I Contact? 


General Benefits

VA Hotline (disability, compensation, pension, home loan, education, burial, vocational rehabilitation, survivor and insurance benefits)


Education and Training


Headstones and Markers


Life Insurance


Veterans Benefits in Canada (other than health care)


Health Care Benefits


Veterans Health Care


Veterans Health Care in Canada


Veterans Health Care in the Philippines


Veterans Health Care in All Other Countries


Mammography Help Line


CHAMPVA (medical care for dependents and survivors of veterans)


Spina Bifida


Health Eligibility Center (how to do a Means Test for health care eligibility)




Debt Management Center (information about debts owed to VA)


Gulf War Veterans Hotline


Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD)


Access by Computer


VA World Wide Web Home Page Server

VAONLINE Bulletin Board Service

800-US1-BETS up to 28.8KBPS at 8-N-1 modem setting.

For answers to Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)

To get a copy of Federal Benefits Manual for Veterans and Dependents, please phone, fax, or write to:

Superintendent of Documents
P.O. Box 371954
Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7954
Phone:  202-512-1800
Fax: 202-512-2250

Please include your name, address, daytime phone, and payment of $5.00 each ($6.25 foreign).  Or simply download a copy from our website at


Facilities are listed in the White Pages of your telephone book in Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents, and on the web at, or simply call 1-800-827-1000


Many veterans service organizations are federally chartered and/or recognized or approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for purposes of preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims under laws administrated by the Department of Veterans Affairs.